While connected to the same network/router to access the internet, we may face the similar error message showing ” Windows has detected an IP address Conflict“, so why this happens and how to fix it.
An IP address conflict occurs when two communications endpoints on the same network have been assigned the same IP address. The two endpoints may be two computers, laptops, mobiles or any two of the mentioned.
How IP Address Conflict Happens:
Two computers or mobiles can acquire IP address conflict due to the following possible reasons.
- A Computer or laptop is put into sleep mode and then turned on while connected to another network that has already assigned the same IP address to another computer. It usually happens while traveling from home to office or from one place to other while keeping the laptop in standby mode.
- Two Computers are assigned the same static IP addresses automatically or by the system administrator.
- One computer is assigned a static IP address that falls within the DHCP range (dynamic IP address range ) for the local network and the same address is assigned to a computer by the DHCP server.
- If you have multiple network adapters (more than one wifi connections that allow automatic connection when within range ), it is possible for the computer to have IP address conflict with itself.
- An Internet Services Provider (ISP) accidentally assigns two customers the same IP address (either statically or dynamically).
How to Recognize IP address Conflict:
The exact message showing an IP address conflict may vary, depends on the type of error. However, the following possible error messages may pop-up to recognize the IP address conflict.
There is an IP address conflict with another system on the network.
The static IP address that was just configured is already in use on the network. Please reconfigure a different IP address.
The system has detected a conflict for IP address..
Usually, the later message will display in the old System like having Windows XP etc.
How to Fix an IP Address Conflict between Computers:
Use the following possible ways or settings to fix IP address conflict between computers.
Step One: Restart your router and see if problem fixed, because by restarting the router will be reassigned IP addresses to computers connected to the same network. If not fix then go to next
Step Two: Assigning new Static IP Address: Another way to fix the issue is by assigning a new IP address to your computer by using Command Prompt, for this use the simple method described:
- Open Command Prompt > Type “ipconfig /release” (without Commas) and Press Enter, the DHCP server will then assign a new IP address to your computer.
Step Three: Upgrading Router Firmware: If your broadband router is believed to have a faulty DHCP server causing IP conflicts on the home network, upgrading the router firmware may resolve this problem. The latest version can be downloaded and installed from the manufacturer website.
Hope so you will be able to solve the issue regarding the IP addresses Conflicting on the same network. Do comments with your feedback.