Have you ever tried to find duplicate values in excel by comparing two columns? If no, then this guideline is for you. Especially if you are working in an organization, school or even in the shop, you can easily sort out the repeated values and filter them accordingly.
First, let’s see in how many ways we can use VLookup excel formula in our daily life.
- To sort out the new entries in your organization.
- To calculate the salary of your employees as per their attendance.
- To find the repeated items in-store or shop and then keep their record automatically.
And so on….
Do check the method to convert Numbers into words in Excel
In today’s tutorial, we will only learn the VLookup function of Microsoft Excel at beginner level to check values appeared duplicate in excel by comparing two columns.
How to find duplicate in Excel by comparing two columns.
To understand the VLookup function let’s set an example of football players of school, some of the players have already played in one match while some new player is added in next match and declared as team B. Our target is to check which persons have already played and which are new ones.
Before applying VLookup, we must have knowledge of the VLookup Syntax Working.
It is elaborated below:
So let’s see how VLookup help to solve the issue.
- We have two columns showing two teams as Team A and Team B and the merged list arranged in alphabetically order in Team B.
- We want to filter the players in Team B that has already played in Team A and mentioned the new players.
- Column D has Team A, Column F have Team B having players of Team A and Column H have the Team B arranged in alphabetical order.
- We will apply VLookup formula in Column I to filter the old and new players entries.
- In Column, I use the following formula: =IFERROR(VLOOKUP(H4,$D$4:$D$11,1,0),”New Player”)and press enter.
- Just copy the formula to the entire column and your required filtered list showing the Duplicate and New entries.
You can change the values of columns for your convenience, but the whole procedure will be the same.
Hope so the above tutorial will help to understand the use of VLookup function to find duplicate in Excel.
Do comments with your feedback.