While connecting to a wireless network, it is necessary to ensure its security, especially when you are in the office or in any public place. Because insecure wireless connectivity may lead the hackers to gain unethical access to the router IP address and alternatively your personal info and data may be not safe. When it comes to setting up a wireless network security key for your own router, then it must be your top priority to ensure its security from all aspects. You have to setup a key that may be not easy every one to guess and apply.
There are different levels of security, several types of password combinations to secure your network. So give brief research and avoid to use common password combinations like:
- Date of birth, person or famous place name, or some common alphanumeric combinations, email addresses, first name, last name etc.
The password or key phrase must be unique to ensure its use for you as well as your friends and family.
Don’t miss to find a Printer IP address.
How to find Security Key for your wireless Network:
So before setting up a security key to secure networks, let’s first know where to find network security key for your network:
- Right click on the Start Menu.
- Click on the Network Connections and then click on Network and Sharing Center.
- Click on the name of your required Wifi Network name.
- Clcik on the Wireless Properties Button.
- Go to the security tab.
- Check the “Show Characters” box to reveal your wifi network key.
How to Setup a Wireless Network Security Key for Your Computer:
A wireless network security key is the password you need to access while connecting to any network. So before setting up, let’s proceed to the types of security encryptions that are being used.
There are three types of network security encryptions commonly used:
- WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy)-it was the first most basic security and assumed as the weakest so discarded now.
- WPA (Wi-Fi Protected Access),- It uses the message integrity check and has become common now.
- WPA2 (Wi-Fi Protected Access with advanced levels of securities)– It is the most advanced security feature that has become a standard for wireless networks.
There are two ways to set up the security key for your wireless network. you can do it with through your router. When you go to set up it, it will guide to stepwise to encrypt and secure your network.
The second method is to create a network key manually. We will learn to create a network security key for windows 7.
So follow the steps below:
- Click Start Menu > Open Control Panel and go for Network and Internet header.
- Under Network and Sharing Center, click View network status and tasks. This will open your current network.
- Go for the Set up a new connection or network option to create any number of network connections you want.
- On the next screen click Set up a new Network. On the next screen choose your router and wait for about 90 seconds to the computer to set up a wireless network.
- You will be prompt to enter your PIN number, that can be found on the backside of your router.
- Once your Router is accepted, you can change the settings and finish setting it up.
- On the screen, you can change your network name, select the best security encryptions and passwords.
In most cases, Windows 7 automatically generate the best security options like password and security level for your wireless network. However, you can choose it as you desire.
In this way, you can secure your connections by setting up a wireless network security key.
Do comments with your feedback.