Purchased a new Mac device and want to transfer all of your data from your old Windows PC, then this tutorial is for you.
As we are much familiar and used to with the two most popular operating systems aka Windows and Mac. In spite of their working interface, they have their own importance. So if you want to switch to Mac OS then you might want all of your old data to your new OS.
It is not difficult now, because along with some common ways of transferring data, we will discuss some other reliable and secure ways to share data between your PC and Mac device.
Ways to transfer data from Windows to Mac device:
Since the launch of computers and other related devices, we are using some USB devices or some external hard drives to transfer data from one device to another. But in the case of Mac, you can only transfer files and other data except for some apps due to cache and other reasons.
So before taking too much, let’s discuss each method to share windows files to Mac easily.
1-Use a Windows File Sharing Service:
Windows file-sharing service is a more reliable method to transfer files from PC to Mac without any third-party software. Just follow the steps:
First of all turn on network discovery:
Open the Settings app and go to Network & Internet. Click on the Wifi or Internet and then go to related settings and click “change advanced sharing options.
Expand the Private Network menu and enable the check box next to “Turn on Network discovery” and “turn on File and Print Sharing”.
Click on Save settings.
configuring IP address:
To share a folder, just right-click the folder > Go to Propoerties> Sharing > Network Files and Sharing> Share.
Note down your windows IP address. Access Command Prompt and type ipconfig and note down iPV4 address.
Share Files to Mac:
On the Mac device > open the Finder app. Select Go > Connect to Server.
Type either smb://[IP address] or smb://[computer name] and press enter. You will be asked to enter your Windows username and password. Just provide and click on connect.
Finally, the content of your shared window will be available in the shared section of the finder. Just drag and drop the desired data to your Mac device.
Use a third-party app to share files to Mac:
Although the above-said method is a little lengthy but reliable, however, if you want some third-party software then keep on reading:
1-Use of Windows Migration Assistant to share files from Windows to Mac OS:
To use the Windows Migration Assistant to transfer files from a Windows computer to a Mac, follow these steps:
- First, make sure that both Windows and Mac computers are connected to the same network.
- On the Mac, download and install the Windows Migration Assistant from the App Store.
- On the Windows computer, download and install the Windows Migration Assistant tool from the Microsoft website.
- On the Mac, open the Windows Migration Assistant and click “Continue.”
- On the Windows computer, open the Windows Migration Assistant tool and click “Continue.”
- Follow the prompts on both computers to establish a connection between the two devices.
- On the Mac, select the types of files you want to transfer and choose the destination folder for the transferred files.
- Click “Start Transfer” to begin transferring the files from the Windows computer to the Mac.
- Wait for the transfer to complete, then click “Done” on both computers to end the migration process.
Note that the Windows Migration Assistant can also be used to transfer data from a Mac to a Windows computer, or to transfer data between two Mac computers. The process is similar to the steps outlined above, with the exception that the roles of the Windows and Mac computers are reversed.
2-Use a Cloud Service:
Using a cloud service to transfer data from a Windows computer to a Mac is a convenient and easy way to migrate your files. Here’s how to do it:
- First, sign up for a cloud storage service that is compatible with both Windows and Mac, such as Google Drive, OneDrive, or Dropbox.
- Install the cloud storage client on both Windows and Mac computers.
- On the Windows computer, open the cloud storage client and sign in with your account.
- Drag and drop the files you want to transfer into the cloud storage folder on the Windows computer. The files will automatically be uploaded to the cloud.
- On the Mac, open the cloud storage client and sign in with your account.
- The transferred files should now be available in the cloud storage folder on the Mac. Simply drag and drop them from the cloud storage folder to the desired location on the Mac.
Note that transferring data using a cloud service may take longer than using a direct connection, such as a USB cable or network connection. However, it is a convenient and easy option if the two computers are not physically located near each other, or if you want to access the transferred files from multiple devices.
In this way, you can adopt the elaborated methods to transfer files from windows to Mac devices conveniently.